Skip directly to searchSkip directly to the site navigationSkip directly to the page's main content

Health Indicator Report of Cigarette Use among Middle School Students

Tobacco use is usually initiated during adolescence. Nearly 90% of adult smokers begin smoking before 18 years of age.[https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/youth_data/tobacco_use/index.htm ^1^] Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death, leads to disease and disability, and harms nearly every organ of the body.[https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/index.htm ^2^]

Notes

This is Healthy New Jersey 2020 (HNJ2020) Objective TU-1c. Data for Whites and Blacks do not include Hispanics. Hispanic ethnicity includes all races. ** The survey is not conducted annually.

Data Source

Youth Tobacco Survey, Office of Tobacco Control, New Jersey Department of Health, [http://www.nj.gov/health/fhs/tobacco/]

Definition

Percentage of middle school (7th-8th grade) students who have used cigarettes on one or more days in the 30 days preceding the survey

Numerator

Number of middle school student survey respondents who have used cigarettes on one or more days in the 30 days preceding the survey

Denominator

Total number of middle school student survey respondents

Other Objectives

'''Revised Healthy New Jersey 2020 Objective TU-1c''': Reduce the proportion of middle school students (grades 7 to 8) who are current smokers (any use in past 30 days) to 1.0% among the total population, 0.7% among Whites, 0.4% among Blacks, 1.9% among Hispanics, and 0.3% among Asians. '''Original Healthy New Jersey 2020 Objective TU-1c''': Reduce the proportion of middle school students (grades 7 to 8) who are current smokers (any use in past 30 days) to 3.9% among the total population, 4.2% among Whites, 2.8% among Blacks, 5.9% among Hispanics, and 1.1% among Asians.

What Is Being Done?

The Office of Tobacco Control is spearheading work on statewide comprehensive tobacco free policies in schools. New Jersey Quit Services are accessible online and by phone. In July, 2017, a bill raising the minimum age for purchase and sale of tobacco products and electronic smoking devices from 19 to 21 was signed into law. [https://nj.gov/health/fhs/tobacco/regulations/]

Available Services

NJ Quitline: 1-866-NJ-STOPS QuitNet: [http://www.quitnet.com http://www.quitnet.com]

Health Program Information

[https://nj.gov/health/fhs/tobacco/ NJDOH Office of Tobacco Control]
Page Content Updated On 08/15/2018, Published on 08/15/2018
The information provided above is from the Department of Health's NJSHAD web site (https://nj.gov/health/shad). The information published on this website may be reproduced without permission. Please use the following citation: " Retrieved Sun, 21 April 2019 22:42:56 from Department of Health, New Jersey State Health Assessment Data Web site: https://nj.gov/health/shad ".

Content updated: no date