Community Health Assessment Data Sources
Datasets are maintained by the office that has programmatic responsibility for that particular topic. At this time, only vital events, hospitalization, communicable disease, NJBRFS, and PRAMS data are queryable in the NJSHAD system. Therefore, if you need a wide range of data for a given community you will have to get it from the various data sources within and outside the Department of Health.
Health Status Reports
Vital Events: Births, Deaths, Infant Deaths, and Fetal Deaths
Hospitalizations and Health Survey Data
Census Data and Population Estimates
NJSHAD now has Community Profiles for several sets of county data.
- NJSHAD Indicator Reports are available for a wide variety of public health topics. They do not contain sub-county-level data, however most contain county-level data. For those that do, county data may be accessed via the left navigation menu by hovering over Graphical Views and selecting the view "by county" or by choosing Complete Profile and scrolling down to the view by county.
- NJSHAD Query System: Most data are available at the state, county, and municipality level.
- NJSHAD Hospitalization Query: All emergency department visit and inpatient hospitalization discharge data are available at the state, county, and municipality level.
- NJSHAD Behavioral Risk Factor Survey Query: Adult health survey results are available at the state and county level, as well as for Newark and Jersey City.
- NJSHAD Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring Survey Query: Maternal and infant health survey results are available at the state level only.
- NJSHAD Communicable Disease Query: Reportable disease counts and rates are available at the state and county level only.
- NJSHAD HIV Query: New diagnoses, persons living with HIV/AIDS, and death counts are available at the state, county, and area/region level. Rates are available at the state and county level only.
- NJSHAD Immunization Status Query: Immunization and exemption status for PreK/Childcare, Kindergarten, and 6th grade students are available at the state, county, municipality, and school level.
- NJSHAD Sexually Transmitted Disease Query: Disease counts are available at the state, county, and municipality level. Rates are available at the state and county level only.
- NJ State Data Center: Data are provided for the state, metropolitan areas, counties, and municipalities.
- Prevalence among adults
- Risk factors: Overweight, physical activity, smoking, nutrition, cholesterol level, hypertension, diabetes
- Contact Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program
- Infectious and zoonotic disease incidence
- STD incidence
- HIV cases and deaths
- Contact IZD Program for municipality-level data
- Contact HIV, STD, and TB Services
- Nutrition, physical activity, and obesity surveillance
- Prevalence among adults
- Contact Office of Nutrition and Fitness
Substance Abuse (including alcohol and tobacco)
- U.S. Small-area Life Expectancy Estimates Project (USALEEP): Enter an address or zip code to compare average life expectancy for that neighborhood compared to its county, state, and the U.S.
- USALEEP Interactive Map: Life expectancy estimates mapped by state, county, and Census tract
Clicking this link will take you off the NJSHAD website.